The California Educator Reporting System: Overview
This section of the Interim Assessment User Guide provides general information about CERS.
For instructions on how to use CERS, please read the California Educator Reporting System User Guide.
In addition, the Interpretive Guide for English Language Arts/Literacy and Mathematics Assessments is available to help educators, parents/guardians, and other stakeholders interpret interim assessment reports. The guide addresses questions of how to evaluate group, student, and item-level data from these assessments to improve teaching and learning.
Access to CERS
LEA CAASPP and LEA ELPAC coordinators are designated as authorized personnel by their superintendents at the beginning of the school year. The CDE will provide access to LEA coordinators (CAASPP and ELPAC) via CalTAC. Each LEA coordinator, in turn, will be authorized to grant access to LEA and school staff through the TOMS interface.
- This is the same logon used for TOMS. LEA CAASPP and LEA ELPAC coordinators should contact CalTAC, by phone at 800-955-2954 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, for assistance with logon credentials.
Before LEA coordinators grant other LEA staff members access to CERS, the coordinators should read and understand the TOMS user roles that are available as well as the implications of assigning the roles to authorized educators.
TOMS user roles are an integral part of ensuring that the security controls provide the intended level of protection. All LEA representatives who are authorized to access CERS are required to protect interim assessment reporting information no matter how it is accessed, obtained, or distributed. This includes information contained on printed reports, data downloaded onto computers and computer media (e.g., compact discs, thumb or flash drives), information on user computer monitors, files transmitted via email, or information in any other format.
Data Security and Privacy
PII is protected through the latest encryption and security technology. Educators are permitted to view only data for students at either a school or LEA. Only data an educator has been explicitly authorized to view may be viewed. Follow state and federal laws, as well as LEA policy, and only provide access to authorized individuals.
CERS collects and maintains educational records that contain PII about students.
TOMS user roles that allow access to CERS are implemented to protect the information processed and stored within the system. Specifically, these user roles are designed to do the following:
- Protect the privacy and confidentiality of the system information
- Ensure that only authorized users (educators) access the system
- Ensure that educators are uniquely identified when using the system
- Associate and connect certain actions performed—within the system—to specific educators
- Ensure that educators have access to perform only the actions they have been authorized to carry out
Logging On to CERS
Each user within an LEA is permitted to view data only for students that the user has been explicitly authorized to view by the LEA CAASPP or LEA ELPAC coordinator. There are two primary options for accessing CERS.
Option One—Log On Through CERS
Figure 1. [California Educator Reporting System (CERS)] button on the CAASPP website
This will open the Logon screen (figure 2).
Figure 2. Logon screen
- On the Logon screen, enter the requested username and password—this will be the same information used to access TOMS.
Option Two—Log On Through TOMS
Figure 3. [Test Operations Management System (TOMS)] button on the CAASPP website
This will open the Logon screen (figure 4).
Figure 4. Logon screen
- Enter email address and password (figure 4).
- Select the [Secure Logon] button (figure 4).
- If the logon credentials are correct, users are redirected to the CERS home page.
- If logon credentials are incorrect, a notification appears. Users should contact the administrator if experiencing logon credential difficulties.
- This will open up the TOMS Welcome screen, where users will be prompted to select a role for the session (figure 5).
Once a role is selected for the current session, select the [OK] button (figure 5).
Figure 5. TOMS Welcome screen
- This will open up the MyTOMS Home screen (figure 6).
Select the [Links] tab at the top (figure 6).
Figure 6. MyTOMS Home screen
Select the [California Educator Reporting System (CERS)] link (figure 7), which will open CERS.
Figure 7. [CERS] link