About This User Guide
This user guide provides guidance on the overall process for the administration of the CAASPP and ELPAC interim assessments. It supports any LEA personnel who administer the CAASPP and ELPAC interim assessments, LEA personnel who use the Teacher Hand Scoring System (THSS) to score interim assessment responses, and staff members who access and use the California Educator Reporting System (CERS).
Resources and Training
LEA and school staff involved in the administration of the interim assessments may visit the CAASPP website and the ELPAC website for links to all interim assessment manuals and guides as well as other resources such as the Practice and Training Test website, the TA Interface, secure browsers, and Tools for Teachers.
Other resources include the following:
- Interim Assessment Viewing System—The Interim Assessment Viewing System contains all of the CAASPP and ELPAC interim assessments. It is designed to allow teachers to access the interim assessments in a preview mode and understand the types of items and the scope of the content for each interim assessment. It can also be used to display interim assessment items to students. Please note that the Interim Assessment Viewing System does not provide functionality to capture and/or transmit student responses for scoring.
- CAASPP Interim Assessment Administration Resources web page—This web page contains systems and resources to assist educators in the administration of the Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments for ELA and mathematics and the CAST Interim Assessments.
- ELPAC Interim Assessment Administration Resources web page—This web page contains systems and resources to assist educators in the administration of the ELPAC Interim Assessments.
- Hand Scoring Training Guides and Exemplars—These materials consist of the training guides, rubrics, and example responses to assist educators in hand scoring the constructed-response items as well as the performance tasks. They can be found in TOMS ; by logging on and selecting the [Resources] tab in the top navigation bar.
- CDE Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments web page—This web page provides LEAs with interim assessment information and resources for planning and implementation of the interim assessments. Resources on this web page include the Interim Assessment Blueprints, Interim Assessments Fact Sheet, At-a-Glance documents, Interim Assessments Overview, Interim Assessment Video Series, and Interim Assessment FAQs.
- 2023–24 Interim Assessments by Grade web document—This document provides a list of all interim assessments available by assessment program and grade level, the total number of items, and the number of items that are hand scored. This information is intended to assist LEAs in planning for the administration and local hand scoring of the interim assessments.
- Administration Guides for LEA CAASPP Coordinators, LEA ELPAC Coordinators, CAASPP Test Site Coordinators, and Site ELPAC Coordinators
- Accessibility Resources for LEA CAASPP Coordinators, LEA ELPAC Coordinators, CAASPP Test Site Coordinators, and Site ELPAC Coordinators—Additional resources can also be found on the CDE CA Assessment Accessibility Resources Matrix web page as well as on the CAASPP Accessibility Resources web page or ELPAC Accessibility Resources web page, where links include the following: