This manual provides information about system requirements and network, hardware, and secure browser configurations for running various testing applications used by test administrators, test examiners, and students in computer-based, in-person CAASPP and ELPAC testing.
This manual is intended for the following audiences at a school or other test site:
- Technology coordinators who are responsible for configuring the hardware, software, and network in a school’s online testing environment and are familiar with the following concepts:
- Networking—Bandwidth, firewalls, allowlisting, and proxy servers
- Configuring operating systems—Control Panel in Windows, System Preferences in macOS, Settings in iOS and iPadOS, and the Linux command line
- Installing software—Downloading installation packages from the internet or from a network location and installing software onto desktop or laptop computers running Windows, macOS, or Linux operating systems, or Chromebook or Apple mobile devices
- Configuring web browsers—Settings in Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge
- Network administrators who are familiar with mapping or mounting network drives and creating and running scripts at the user and host level
- Users who install and run the secure browser from an NComputing server and are familiar with operating that software and related hardware
This manual contains the technology requirements for computer-based CAASPP and ELPAC testing for the 2022–23 test administrations and includes the following sections:
- Introduction (this section), describes this guide.
- System Requirements lists the minimum hardware and software requirements for computer-based testing. Ensure that device hardware complies with these requirements before undertaking the tasks described in this manual.
- Network Configuration provides information about configuring networks and lists helpful networking diagnostic tools.
- System Configuration provides guidance regarding hardware and general software configuration, including the proper infrastructure for printers and WAPs with specifics for LEA networks and student devices.
- Operating System Configuration provides information about configuring the secure browser for computer-based testing on student devices that use a particular operating system. The secure browser prevents students from accessing other devices or internet applications and from copying test information. It also occupies an entire screen.
- Appendix A: Operating System Support Plan for the 2022–23 Test Delivery System lists the operating systems supported for computer-based CAASPP and ELPAC testing and their projected end-of-support dates.
- Appendix B: Scheduling Online Testing provides a worksheet for estimating the required time to administer a computer-based assessment.
- Appendix C: Creating Group Policy Objects to Assign Logon Scripts in Microsoft Windows describes how to create scripts that launch when a user logs on to a Windows computer.