Security Incidents and Appeals Process Overview
- The Alternate ELPAC Operational Field Test will receive STAIRS/Appeals support to report testing incidents that might occur during administration of the in-person, computer-based assessment.
- Coordinators should report testing incidents that occur during a remote Initial ELPAC test session. These testing incidents can be submitted if any of the following testing incidents occurred during a remote test session:
- A test examiner did not pause the test because the video or chat access with the student was disrupted or lost.
- An incorrect test session type (that is, In Person instead of Remote) was selected for the remote test session.
- A technical issue resulted in the disruption of an ongoing remote test session.
- A coordinator may submit a Reset Appeal to remove an Initial ELPAC assessment(s) from the TDS and DEI in the event a student is not eligible for the assessment.
- Because second scores can be entered into the DEI for the Alternate ELPAC Operational Field Test, a request for a Reset Appeal may be requested.
Guide’s Intended Audience
The Security Incidents and Appeals Procedure Guide provides guidance for CAASPP and ELPAC LEA and site coordinators who file reports of testing improprieties, irregularities, and breaches that are encountered during test administrations for CAASPP summative assessments (such as for Smarter Balanced, the CAAs, the CAST, and the CSA), and the ELPAC (Initial, Summative, and Alternate).
Detailed, step-by-step instructions for submitting, reviewing, and withdrawing STAIRS cases and for searching for STAIRS cases and Appeals are found in the contextual help in TOMS as well as in the web-based CAASPP and ELPAC TOMS User Guide. Refer to the STAIRS/Appeals topic in the guide’s left navigation pane for additional information.