Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System: Overview
The Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System (IAHSS) allows educators to score student responses to items that require hand scoring. When students in a test session submit an interim assessment, the items that require hand scoring are sent to the IAHSS, where scorers can view students’ responses to each item and enter scores or mark them with condition codes. Items that require hand scoring must be scored in the IAHSS for results to be displayed in the California Educator Reporting System (CERS).
Hand scoring interim assessments is a local responsibility. To plan adequate time for hand scoring of interim assessments, it is a good idea to preview the Interim Assessment Block (IAB) or Interim Comprehensive Assessment (ICA) of interest using the Interim Assessment Viewing System which can be accessed from the CAASPP Interim Assessment Administration Resources web page. The Interim Assessment Viewing System allows educators with the appropriate Test Operations Management System (TOMS) credentials to view all of the interim assessments; both ICAs and IABs, and develop an estimate of the time required for hand scoring.
This section contains information on how to do the following:
- Understand IAHSS user roles
- Access the IAHSS
- Select item responses to score
- Score item responses
- Mark item responses as complete
- Apply condition codes
Quick Start Instructions
- Navigate to the CAASPP website, select the [Smarter Balanced Interim Assessments] button, and then select the [Interim Assessment Hand Scoring System] button.
- Log on by entering the Test Operations Management System (TOMS) username and password on the Logon screen and selecting the [Secure Logon] button.
- Select item responses to score.
- Score item responses.
- Reassign items (optional).
- Mark as complete.
More detailed procedures are outlined in the Using the IAHSS subsection.